Monday, February 8, 2010

A Shaft of Sunlight

I tend to start my sketch with something pleasing that catches my eye. Often it's a familiar shape, object or thing. My daily ritual takes place in the same spot at the same time lately and this morning I was greeted by a shaft of sunlight resting on my table. It wasn't there when I first sat down. But as I uncapped my pen it boldly appeared as if asking to be drawn. It's a trick request. The best way to draw light is not to draw light at all. Instead I sketched the welcoming committee of fruit that was illuminated by this radiant parade. Sunlight seems to bring out the best in everything. It certainly lifts my spirit and I'm grateful. I'm grateful for the warm bath of light I sit in as I sketch, the edible bounty it creates and for giving me a map to find beauty where I may not have seen it before.   

1 comment:

  1. Not only is this a nice sketch, I equally love the writing about it. The sunlight. I feel exactly the same way- it brings a whole new beauty to whatever it touches, and lifts my spirits as well. Your words are poetry.

    ReplyDelete