Monday, November 9, 2009

Detail: Box of Cloth Painting

This is a photo taken with my iphone. It's a detail from yet another painting of a box of cloth. Someone somewhere said if you took all the painted drapery out of the Louvre there would be little artwork left. I think this might be true of most museums that feature old master paintings including the Palace of Legion of Honor just up the hill from here. There's a lot to do in San Francisco but sometimes I'll choose to walk through the galleries there just to study the many ways drapery has been rendered over the centuries. It must relate to my fascination with mazes and labyrinths as a child. I'm sure this is one of several ways I continue to pursue that early interest.  And so I paint boxes of cloth and kelp sometimes. It's like a moving meditation for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment