Thursday, September 30, 2010

Ramos-Martinez Homage


I'm feeling a need to revisit my artistic influences. They are countless and each teaches something different. In an effort to return to fundamentals, with the emphasis on fun, I took an empty canvas and re-created a detail from an Alfredo Ramos-Martinez drawing titled Mexican Family, which he originally created in 1932. A pre-colombian influence combined with a hint of art deco results in solid, simple yet iconic depictions of people from his native Mexico. The images above not only represent my attempt to pay homage to a favorite painter, but also perhaps learn something by doing so. What I learned is to continue to simplify my vision. I'll be reminded daily since this 48" X 48" exercise is for personal use only and hangs in my dining room.

1 comment:

  1. Très belle expression dans le regard de vos personnages. j'aime, vous allez à l'essentiel. L'harmonie des couleurs en fait une oeuvre forte. Bises,

    ReplyDelete