Monday, October 12, 2009

Seal Rock behind the Cliff House


Drawing on butcher paper has its pluses and minuses. On the upside it's three bucks a roll at Walgreens which is a short walk. The pale brown color is a pleasing mid-tone and the surface takes gouache pretty well. On the downside, I tend to re-work my drawings a lot which really tests the limits of the paper. With this brown cheap stuff I have to show some restraint or else rips happen. The paper buckles and is tough to get flat without putting it under glass. I prefer tough papers like Rives or Fabriano but I thought I'd try something new for awhile. It's a good idea now and then.
This drawing is based on a sketch from earlier this year which is based on wandering my neighborhood for sources of inspiration: my self-created residency from which I'm building a series of paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment